UK Motorcycling

Bike Insurance
Bike Insurance

Buying & Bike
» Buyers Guide
» Manufacturers
» Motorcycle Dealers

» Group Riding
» Motorways

» Riding at night
» Track Days

» Riders Clubs
» Owners Clubs

» Lifting Gear
» Bike Spares

»Traffic Filtering
»Motorway Riding

Learing to Ride
» Provisional Licence
» CBT Guide



Important Note: Information on this site is compiled based on our knowledge and belief. We make no claims as to its accuracy or being up to date.

CBT Compulsory Basic Training

All learner motorcyclists and moped riders must successfully complete CBT before riding on the road. The only exemptions to this are if they have passed a full moped test after 1/12/1990, live (and ride) on a named offshore Island, already hold a Certificate of Completion (DL196).

In addition full car licence holders can ride a moped if they passed their test before 1/2/2001

When you've done your CBT you'll be given a certificate of completion (DL196). You will need to produce this before you can take the practical motorcycle test.

A certificate of completion has a 2 year life. If you don't pass both your theory and practical tests in that time then you'll have to take the CBT course again.

A certificate of completion obtained on a moped is valid for a motorcycle when the rider reaches the age of 17.